Halton House was built by Alfred de Rothschild in 1883 as a country retreat. It was never intended to be used as a residence but, rather, as a place where he could entertain his friends and business associates. Lavish weekend parties were the order of the day but it was in 1913 that with a great sense of patriotism he gave permission for the Army and RFC to hold manoeuvres on the estate. This led to extensive military use of the estate during the First World War until 1918 when the RAF made a complete takeover and shortly thereafter Halton became the home the RAF Apprentices. The original Halton House became the Officers' Mess; a purpose it has fulfilled ever since..
..along with being the location for countless film and TV dramas. (Recognise scenes from Downton Abbey, Anyone?)
Close this window to return to the museum.